Sunday, October 18, 2009

Later Years of Mary's Career

When she again resumed her singing career, after such a long absence, history repeated itself. 

After an appearance on the Russell Harty TV Show, her impact on the public was such that the switchboard was swamped with requests for her reappearance.

Soon after,the first of many concert appearances at London's Royal Festival Hall was sold out, a resounding success that became a best-selling record.

Since 1977, Mary O'Hara truly became an artist of international appeal, having appeared in most of the world's major venues,
from London's Royal Albert Hall to Toronto's Roy Thompson Hall;
from New York's Carnegie Hall to Sydney's Opera House and toured the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland and Europe.

She recorded 23 long-playing albums, some of them becoming best sellers and has also written 3 best-selling books. Her autobiography 'The Scent of the Roses', sold over a million copies!

"I am not, I think, a folk-singer as the purists understand it.
What I try to do is interpret traditional songs with the skill
and respect given to art songs,
simply by singing them with all the understanding I possess.

I still think that folk and traditional songs
are among the most beautiful,
but I also love Elizabethan lyrics and some modern poets' verses
and prose-poems, which sing to me, so I set them to music."

~ Mary O'Hara ~

Here she is singing a prose poem of her late 1st husband's which she put to music

No comments:

Post a Comment